The preachers of a couple generations before mine are retiring, or at least attempting to. One of the problems they are facing is that many of them set aside nothing while they ministered for so many years. For many of them, it was an issue of faith vs common sense. Many of them strongly believed that Christ would come back prior to them ever reaching retirement age, and preached that way. This caused two problems. One, their faith made them believe it was ignorant to save up for retirement since they would never reach it, and two, it caused the youth of those times to feel they would never live a full life because they two would be gone soon.
The Bible tells us how foolish it is to save up treasures on Earth, but that we should build up heavenly treasures. So is it a lack of faith that tells us to save for the future? Why am I on this kick?
Let me start with the scripture, it is much more important to focus on our heavenly existence for eternity, after all, it is eternity. It does not mean we shouldn't provide for ourselves and our loved ones while on Earth. This in no way tells us to live off society or those around us, but rather to share what we have been given, and focus on those eternal things. In all things, our common sense should support faith. For example, common sense tells us we didn't originate from an inanimate object and later a monkey. That supports our faith. Common sense (and scripture) tells us to be good stewards of what God blesses us with. That supports our faith.
In a small group discussion centered on stewardship and tithing, we talked about what should be done in hard times. The Biblical answer is give, we are giving out of what we have, not out of how we feel God is blessing or not blessing at the present moment. Those are the times we can be most joyful in giving, because it means more (see the story of the widow's mite).
Why this, why now? Pretty simple, it relates. Jess and I recently made some decisions about giving above our normal giving. It just so happens this was before the recent financial surprises we have had. We had to choose to stick behind them, or to follow through, knowing that we were already using some savings to cover the surprises (isn't that what savings are for?) Anyway, we stuck to our decisions and God is continuing to bless. Not only are things not near as bad as they could have been, but we get to be a part of what God is doing through our giving.
Anyway, here's the point. It is often difficult to find the balance between living by faith, and being financially sound. I prefer choose faith if it is a close call. I'll take God's blessing over my own financial wisdom (or lack thereof) any day. But I don't want to end up working until I'm 90 (if I live that long) because I didn't balance things now. I guess that's having faith in him guiding me financially now too. At least we aren't socialists. That would make it crazy deciding what to give, but that's another days rant.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jeff, I had no idea you had a blog. This is really well written. I enjoyed it very much. I never thought of it this way. But now that you mention it, as a believer, I still have this "sense" that Jesus will return in my lifetime. Perhaps that is due to the preaching that I have heard over the years -- but perhaps that is also due to wishful thinking. In any event, your blog serves as a reminder that His timeing is just that -- His -- and it is our job to take up our cross daily until that time (something I am woefully inadequate in doing). Thank you for this perspective. I hope you continue to link your blog to Facebook because I would like to continue reading. (your biased sister-in-law, bree).
Post a Comment