We started Life's Healing Choices this week. It's always encouraging when you've been looking forward to something for a long time for it to finally arrive. One of the points made in the book is that we don't make any changes until the pain in our lives is greater than the pain related with making that change. How much pain do we want to go through before we change?
I have a pretty high pain tolerance. I don't like pain, but I can deal with it. This allows me to do some really stupid things, not caring about the physical consequences. While playing football on astroturf I continually tore my knee up. It was like sliding on gravel every time I dove to make a play. When it came game time, I intentionally banged my knee on the wall to open it up a bit so I wouldn't be bothered the whole game by it. Here's an idea, how about wrapping it? I guess that would have been too much trouble and I would have missed playing time.
I do the same thing relationally. It takes me a long time to decide to stop the bleeding when things go bad. I don't mind being hurt a bit, but if it keeps happening, a change is needed. Rather than beating ourselves up over things, we need to let God just wrap it up. We can't fix it ourselves, or we already would have. We can't, so we don't.
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment