Outlook has a lot to do with life. I could spend all day explaining the background for this, but to shorten things I'll say this... I had to drive the truck which is horrible in snow out to Word Of Life yesterday to help take some teens out there, Jess can't drive it because the seat doesn't move so I left her the car.
We arrived early, the teens had to wait a little while before they could check in. I figured I'd head back early to beat the night and snow storm that was hitting home. I left and headed back earlier than I had planned. I got past Speculator just in time to hit a whiteout and lots of ice on Rt. 8. The truck was not doing great, and I was doing 25-30 mph instead of 55. The truck lost traction going up a hill and promptly shot across the road into a snow bank. I tried backing up in 4x4, but that was definitely not happening. I forgot to mention I had left my coat and gloves at the church, so I was really prepared for a cold night in the mountains outside the truck. Of coarse there was no cell coverage, so I got out of the passenger side of the truck (the driver's door was barricaded in snow) and began to walk up the hill. After a while a pick-up came by and I waved them down, they were not fully with it, but were willing to drive me to where I could call AAA. After about 15 miles, I realized that people didn't believe cellphones were necessary up in the mountains. As we passed one of the other wrecks along the side of the road, we stopped and asked a wrecker if he did AAA, he did and offered to take me to town (another 15 miles in the wrong direction). Along the way, we passed another wrecker going back up 8, and I transferred over to his truck. After about 30 minutes, we were back at my truck, which had been plowed over during my 2 hour trek. He was able to pull it right out after sliding down the hill trying to stop, and I followed him to Remsen where I could phone AAA and get on with my day. I was cold.
I called Jess, who was obviously worried because I was 2 hours late, and finished my trip home. Looking back I realized how wonderful of a day I had experienced. Had we not left the church so early, our caravan full of teens would have been hit by the storm I ran into. Had I not headed back so early, I would have not met the guys in the truck that gave me the ride (I only saw one other vehicle during the next hour). Had they not picked me up, I would have missed the wrecker (it was just finished with loading up from the accident and heading back). Had they not worked with AAA I would have been poor. Had I been going over about 25 mph, the truck would have been in the forest, not the snow bank (making a tow much more difficult). Needless to say, though it was rough, God continually took care of everything. The youth were there on time, my toes have regained feeling, and I didn't have to sleep in the Blazer (forcing Carl to preach on Sunday morning :-) ). Sure, I could be a pessimist and look at all that went wrong, but it is much more productive to appreciate God's help and protection throughout the entire day. Perspective is more valuable in life than happiness.
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Jeff,
I've been meaning to post a reply on this for a while. When I first read this I said wow that's what I love and appreciate about Jeff. Little did I know just a few days later I put this lesson on perspective to use. Sunday morning(1/26) Angie left early to get back LeMoyne and we were at church when my phone rang. It was Angie broken down on the Thruway near Canajoharie with a muffler issue. We left church in a hurry. I made a quick phone call to a friend who suggested the Monro muffler in Herkimer. I called and they were open. A trooper stopped to check on Angie and followed her to a rest area so she would be safe. We met her there, drove to Monro, where said they could fix it for $107. Not bad. Started talking to a fella waiting for his car, telling him the story and he hands me a 30% off coupon. With money saved we had a nice lunch and with her car fixed Angie was on her way. Because she decided to leave early that morning she still made it back in the daylight, despite all the setbacks. And since we were in Herkimer we surprised Mary's dad with a visit. All in all it was a great day full of God's blessings. Like you said it's all about perspective. Thanks for the lesson.
Tom
Post a Comment